Sunday, June 8, 2008

A day in Frankfurt

One of the nice things about traveling such long distances is that I occasionally get long enough layovers that I can spend a day in a random location. In the last year I have had a day in Amsterdam, a morning in Singapore, three days in Ethiopia, a few hours in London, and, yesterday, a day in Frankfurt, all on layovers. I did a small bit of research on the internet before leaving for Frankfurt to figure out how to get to the city center from the airport.

I arrived with 15 Euros burning a hole in my pocket and departed with not a (Euro) cent to my name. It lasted me for train rides to and from the city, a bottle of water, a big soft pretzel and a big soft delicious bratwurst. I even got some birding in at the end of my stay in a lovely bit of forest adjacent to the stadium train station, the first stop from the airport. I saw two lifers--Blackcap and Pied Flycatcher, as a I slowly continue to rack up common European birds. I also particularly enjoyed watching a Winter Wren sing it's heart out from atop a dead snag.
This forest is very close to the airport and held plenty of birds, even in the midday heat when I was there. I saw things like European Robin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, European Nuthatch and Eurasian Jay.

This is a square in downtown Frankfurt. I conveniently lined up the photo so that the skyscaper behind in entirely blocked by the building you see.

Have just come from my hometown of Chicago, I couldn't resist this photo.

No comments: