Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ecuador ABA conference

I'm just back from Ecuador, a country very close to my heart, where I was guiding for the American Birding Association international conference that Tropical Birding hosted. The conference went incredibly well and everyone--hosts, ABA, guides and--most importantly--the participants left extremely happy. The total conference bird list ended up at 460+--not bad for six days of birding based out of Quito, Ecuador's high altitude capital.

My own trip began with a nearly three day journey from Tulear, Madagascar, to Sacha Lodge in the Ecuadorian Amazon rainforest. There I helped out on a trip led by my friend Olger Licuy.
I then returned to Quito, where I guided day trips at the conference; I was fortunate to guide to four different places in five days: Papallacta, Milpe, Antisana and Rio Silanche. The day trips were grueling--very early mornings, long days and ending with a social hour for all the participants and guides, but it was great meeting new people every day and getting back to sites that I was very familiar with from my time living and guiding in Ecuador. After the conference I co-guided an awesome trip to Sacha Lodge in the Ecuadorian Amazon with Marcelo Andy, where we recorded about 270 species, actually seeing almost 250 of them. I personally saw over 400 species in my nearly three weeks in the country. Here are a couple photos from the Sacha post-trip, with more to come.

Tody-flycatchers and tody-tyrants are among my favorite birds, and certainly favorite among the huge flycatcher family. This Yellow-browed Tody-Flycatcher was nesting in the giant kapok tree around which Sacha's wooden canopy tower is built.


White-lored Tyrannulet is a canopy species that is difficult to see from the ground. This photo was taken from Sacha's fabulous canopy walkway. From this photo it is clear the bird is very misnamed--its lores are entirely black! It would be better named White-browed Tyrannulet.


Pygmy Marmosets are among the world's smallest monkeys and are a highlight of every visit to Sacha.


This anole lizard was munching an aptly-named 88 butterfly while we were enjoying our own picnic lunch.

No comments: